Do’s and Dont’s of Dosimeter Use:
1. DO WEAR IT when working. Of what value is it if it is in a locker or purse?
2. DON’T WEAR IT when you are receiving X-rays for your own personal health care.
3. DON’T WEAR IT away from the workplace.
4. DON’T WEAR IT under your apron (unless using more than one dosimeter).
5. DO TURN IT IN promptly. Time gaps make analysis more difficult, less accurate, and reduces the legal and historical value of the reports.
6. DO REPORT A LOST/DAMAGED unit immediately (sunshine/heat, the washer, etc.). Prevent damage by not leaving your monitor in areas of high temperature.
7. DO PLACE the control in a radiation-safe area; this affects the accuracy of all dosimeters!
8. DON’T PLACE one in an area for testing (operator booth, receptionist’s desk, etc.). Additional badges for testing can be assigned and provided by the service.
9. DON’T SHARE one; this is illegal. An exposure total for a shared dosimeter is meaningless to each individual.
10. DON’T TAMPER with your badge or anyone else’s. The reports are legal documents and are regarded as real exposures received.